What is business intelligence?
Business intelligence (BI) is the use of computing technologies for the identification, discovery and analysis of business data – like sales revenue, products, costs and incomes.
Business intelligence (BI) simplifies information discovery and analysis, making it possible for decision-makers at all levels of an organization to more easily access, understand, analyze, collaborate, and act on information, anytime and anywhere.
BI is used for multiple business purposes, including:
- Measurement of performance and benchmarking progress toward business goals
- Quantitative analysis through predictive analytics, predictive modeling, business process modeling and statistical analysis
- Reporting of departmental/divisional and enterprise perspectives of data visualization, EISs and OLAP
- Collaborative programs that allow internal and external business entities to collaborate through electronic data interchange (EDI) and data sharing
- Use of knowledge management programs to identify and create insights and experiences for learning management and regulatory compliance
The Microsoft BI stack
Business intelligence is achieved with the following actions and corresponding tools.
SQL Server Integration Services
SQL Server Analysis Services
SQL Server Reporting Services